Saturday, June 16, 2012

Competition Winner Spotlight: Rocio Vasquez


Rocio Vasquez was this year's student competition winner. We wanted to find out what Rocio is most passionate about the interior design industry.

What first inspired you about interior design? I grew up around "design" my whole life. My father is an automobile designer, so I loved learning about it. As I got older, I started understanding more about the field and the conceptual side of things and realized that buildings go through the same development process. That is where I developed my interest in architecture and interior design.

What area of the interior design industry are you most passionate about? I absolutely love hospitality and recreation design. There are endless possibilities in those areas. However, I am most passionate about institutional design. I feel most passionate when it comes to designing a place in which a person  is not only going to benefit from but also grow as an individual; whether it be anything from schools to religious facilities.

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years? In the next 5 years I see myself working in a firm here in Southern California and hopefully traveling at least once a year with non-profit organizations all around the world.

What would be your dream design job? Religion is a huge part of my life and defines me as an individual. My dream job would be to take part in the creation of a new cathedral. To me nothing would be more satisfying than to be able to partake in creating God's home.

Do you think competing in design competitions help benefit your career as a student?  I definitely believe that having taken part in the competition was a huge benefit for me as a student. Not only did it allow me to step out of my comfort zone when it came to presenting in front all the professionals, but it also tested my ability to work under pressure.

Would you recommend other students to compete in design competitions? Why? I would encourage other students to participate in design completions because it truly is a learning experience. It's also great and fun opportunity to network and meet professionals in the field.

For all of us at nextGEN, we wish you the best in your future endeavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment